Thursday, March 24, 2011

Carving only done here!

Recently I have wondered what it would be like if God took the microwave, fast food approach to character--- we ask, He changes, we walk with a new character.  I used to wish for this often.  In the past year or so, I have changed my mind and prefer the actual way God changes us--- He carves our character rather than changing it in an instant.

Carving requires a humble spirit and a genuine desire to change and sometimes for these to come about difficult people and/or circumstances come and come and come until we begin listening.  Oftentimes I joke about being 40- young to some, old to others, but I see God working in me in a way He has not before- probably because of me getting in the way. 

Now I look forward to the time He has allotted for me and to what He will do in and through me.  However, sometimes what He shows me is difficult for me to accept.  He transforms us and refines us similar to a silversmith who places unrefined silver in a crucible.  He turns up the heat and as the silver melts, impurities rise to the top.  The silversmith scrapes off the impurities, looks at the silver to see his reflection.  If he can't see it clearly, he turns up the heat slowly and incrementally until he at last sees his reflection clearly.  I believe Jesus works the same with us.

Look at difficulties as opportunities for Jesus to bring about maturity in you and to make you further into the image of Christ as Romans 8 puts it.

No comments:

Post a Comment